Our students, schools and community benefit from engaged, supportive partners. We see that generosity in our schools every day. Whether you spend an hour once a year or once a week supporting our students, staff and families, we appreciate you.
If your organization is interested in volunteering to support our students, please fill out the Volunteer in RPS 205: Next Steps form.
If you have questions about how your organization can partner with our schools, please contact the Family and Community Engagement department, 815-966-3271.
Froberg Elementary School
SAE, A World in Motion
A phenomenal, hands-on STEM program for students and volunteers. Volunteers help run the three sessions that take place throughout the year. Each session is 8-10 weeks, one day a week, for 60-90 minutes. For individuals not able to do the full 8-10 weeks, job sharing is available, but participation is so much fun it will be hard to miss a single experience! Training for each module takes place before the sessions begin. Each school year, this program needs 12-18 volunteers for each of the three time slots to provide two volunteers per class. This allows flexibility in case one of the volunteers has a conflict.
Volunteers assist students by enhancing their grade level math skills. Districtwide opportunities are available.
Band Grandpa Program
This program began when a handful of retirees asked to share their love of music with RPS 205 students. The Fine Arts Department is looking for more volunteers with a background in band, choir, orchestra, art or theatre. Your experience – and time spent as a “grandpa” or “grandma” – will give students support and stability while enriching their lives with the arts.
Become an Academy Support Team member.
Academy Support Team (AST) members serve as ambassadors to connect the community with teachers and students as a positive advocate for the academies in the community. Responsibilities of ASTs may include:
- Support implementation of Academies at the school of your choice.
- Provide Curriculum Guidance - Share with staff the skills, tools, and knowledge needed to succeed in your career so teachers can incorporate these needs into their instruction.
- Support Equitable Resource Allocation - Work with teachers to evaluate their teaching resources (equipment, materials, facilities, guest speakers, etc.) to ensure all students and teachers have consistent support from the district and the community.
- Recruit Community Members - Share the opportunity to advance the teaching and learning which occurs in our schools by inviting your colleagues and other career experts you know to join the ASTs and serve as guest speakers, mentors, etc.
- Develop Project Ideas - Sharing projects which you encounter in your work so teachers can provide students with similar experiences within their courses. For example: providing a car for restoration which can be used to connect a student’s language arts, math, social studies, and science with their automotive courses.
Host a Booth at the Academy Expo.
Host a site visit at your business/organization.
Host a job shadow at your business/organization.
Host a 4-5 hour job shadow experience for a small group of students. The job shadow experience would showcase one or two specific careers and allow students to participate in an activity associated with a career.
Host a workshop for senior students.
Support students by hosting a one-time workshop on communication etiquette; professionalism; collaborative discussions and teamwork; project management; or how to deliver an effective presentation.
Be a guest speaker.
Speak to students about the path to your career, including but not limited to your education, career trajectory, or current job responsibilities.
Participate in mock interviews and/or project evaluations.
As needed, listen and evaluate student projects and/or participate in mock interviews.
Connect students to a community service experience.
Provide students access to volunteer opportunities.
Questions about these Academy volunteer opportunities?
Ask the Family and Community Engagement Department